National Gas Engine Co
of Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancs
1897 Incorporated as a limited company.
1900 June. Royal Agricultural Show at York. Showed an electric light engine (oil engine). 
1900 The company was registered on 24 February, to take over the business of a company of similar title. 
1905 Type N. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1908 Engine type S. 25 hp. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1909 Engine type SE. 34 hp. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1911 Public company.
1912 Building 270 engines per month in the 1 to 1,500 bhp range
1913 Engine type M. 10 hp. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1913 Advert for gas and oil engines. Suction gas plants. Horizontal and vertical engines from 2 hp to 1,500 hp. 
1914 Engineers. Specialities: gas and oil engines and suction plants. Employees 1,100. 
1920 April. Issued catalogue on engine for large powers of 300 to 2,000 bhp. 
1920 Announce 1,500hp gas blowing engine. 
1920 Maker of large vertical gas engines of 300 hp upward but just introduced a 120 hp model. 
1924 Engine Type P. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1927 See Aberconway for information on the company and its history.
1928 Engine for Generating Set. (National Gas and Oil Engine Company of A-u-L) Exhibit at Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry.
1929 Engine. 45 hp. Type NV. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
1929 Engine. Type N. 10 hp. Exhibit at Anson Engine Museum.
- F Type - 1 hp
- J Type - 2 hp
- K Type - 2 to 9 hp (1906 - )
- LB Type - 10-11 bhp oil engine (1933 - )
- V Type (1930 - )
- ZC Type - 160 hp
- BS (1935 - )
- DS (1935 - )
- ID (1935 - )
- DSH (c1945 - ) Vertical diesel 7 hp at 800 rpm
- DSSH (c1945 - ) Vertical diesel 9.5 hp at 1,100 rpm
Sources of Information
- The Engineer of 22nd June 1900 p650
- The Engineer of 16th November 1900 p487
- The Times, Saturday, Aug 18, 1900
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- Mechanical World Year Book 1913. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert on outside rear cover
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- The Engineer of 27th Feb 1920 p208
- The Engineer of 30th April 1920 p458
- The Engineer of 3rd December 1920 p567
- The Times, 17 November 1932
- A-Z of British Stationary Engines by Patrick Knight. Published 1996. ISBN 1 873098 37 5