Moss Hutchison Line
From Graces Guide
Specialists in Mediterranean shipping trade based in Liverpool.
1815 James Moss, a Liverpool ship chandler, had an interest in trading with Mediterranean ports. He was joined in partnership by Thomas Hampson and the company was named Moss and Hampson.
1833 the partnership was dissolved; Moss and his nephew, William Moss, and Richard Spencer formed a new company James Moss and Co.
1849 William Denny built the firm's first steamship, the Nile of 500 tons and 120 horsepower.
Following the death of James Moss's nephew, the surviving partners registered the Moss Steamship Co Ltd, with James Moss & Co continuing the management of the steamers.
By the mid-1860s, Moss had a dozen steamers.
1916 Both companies were taken over by the Royal Mail group
WWI Lost all but 2 ships
1919 Acquired J. and P. Hutchison Ltd, an old established line in the Scotland/Ireland/France trade
1934 After the liquidation of the Royal Mail group, Moss Hutchison was formed.
1972 Moss Hutchison became part of P&O General Cargo Division but retained its traditional livery.
As patterns of trade in the Mediterranean changed radically, the change-over to containerisation made conventional cargo ships non-viable. Moss Hutchison's fleet ceased to exist by 1979