John Sherwood and Sons
From Graces Guide
of Regent Works, Regent Street, Birmingham. T.A.: Regent, Birmingham. Telephone: Central 2310
- 1858 With William and George Sherrif Sherwood as directors, the company could be found in Litchfield Street.
- 1870 This was their address when they registered their silver mark, J S/& S in shield at Sheffield Assay Office. The same mark, with or without pellet, had previously been registered at Birmingham Assay Office in 1858.
- 1871 The partnership broke up and with William now at the helm, along with other Sherwoods.
- 1886 The company expanded so much that it relocated to Regent Works, Regent Street.
- There can be very little doubt that Sherwood's wanted their plate-mark to look very similar to a Sheffield Assay mark. A practice in which they were certainly not alone. Of 17 Sheffield platers using a crown in one form or another, no less than 13 had registered a silver mark at the Sheffield Assay Office. Platers in Birmingham must have thought the crown carried a marketing message too. Of the 15 platers having a crown as part of their plate mark only one had not found it necessary to register a silver mark at an assay office.
- 1922 Listed Exhibitor. Original "Beaver Brand" Electro-plate and Silver Goods; registered "Regent Silver" Spoons and Forks, Silverplated and unplated (Stand No. D.11)