Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

J. W. Brooke and Co

From GracesGuide

Jump to: navigation, search
1892. Universal Improved Steel Friction Clutch (Brooke and Hay's Patent).
November 1902.
January 1903.
January 1903. 12 h.p.
January 1903.
January 1903.
February 1903.
September 1905.
1906. Chassis of six-cylinder car.
1906 Q4. 25hp. Six-cylinder.
1906. 15-20 h.p.
1906. 15-20 h.p.
1906. 35 h.p.
1906. 35 h.p.
September 1908.
1914. Shipped to South America this passenger launch is 60ft by 11 ft built of Yank teak.
1914. 45 hp, 4-cylinder single lever with Epicyclic Reverse Gear.
1914. 4 Admirality launches.
1914. A passenger motor boat built for the Leopoldina Railway Co intended to carry up to 100 passengers across the harbour of Rio de Janeiro.
1914.
1927.
1929. 10 H.P. 28 H.P. and 105 H.P. Marine Motors.

J. W. Brooke of Adrian Ironworks, Lowestoft

John Walter Brooke was the son of an ironfounder

1870 He laid out the works of Robert Warner and Co

Brooke went to the USA where he spent time in Adrian, Michigan

1874 John Walter Brooke opened his own foundry on his return, and named it after Adrian, Michigan.

1887 Was making compound and triple expansion engines for fishing, coasting and other craft

1894 June. Royal Agricultural Society's Show. Clutch barrel hoist.

1898 The company became limited

1899 Built their first engine - a small two-stroke

1905 Produced 15-20 h.p. four-cylinder, 25 h.p. six-cylinder and 35 h.p. four-cylinder models. [1]

c1914 Introduced a four-stroke engine for marine use

1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Cars produced see the 1917 Red Book

1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of Marine Motors see the 1917 Red Book

1940s Carried out contract work for Standard Motor Co and Scammell

later became Brooke Marine


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. Automobile Vol. III. Edited by Paul N. Hasluck and published by Cassell and Co in 1906.
  • The Engineer of 29th June 1894 p562 & p566
  • Steam Engine Builders of Norfolk by Ronald H. Clark. Published 1948 by The Augustine Steward Press