From Graces Guide
This dock of 71 acres was mainly concerned with the movement of coal, and was completed in 1912.
Immingham Dock was a port facility and linking railways opened six miles downstream from Grimsby by the Great Central Railway (GCR) in 1912. It was first conceived during the company's Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway days in 1874, after test borings north-west of Grimsby had been made by marine engineer Charles Liddell.
1900 Nothing ensued but the idea was revived when the leading marine engineer Sir John Wolfe Barry confirmed Liddell's earlier recommendations.
1904 After some opposition the Humber Commercial Railway & Dock Act was passed on 22 July 1904.
Construction started with a sod-cutting ceremony on 12 July 1906. The wider scheme included three new lengths of railway:
- the Grimsby District Light Railway, from Immingham to Grimsby, used for contractors traffic and later for carrying passengers (mainly dock workers).
- the Humber Commercial Railway, from near New Holland to Immingham, for coal traffic
1912 July 22nd. Immingham Dock opened by King George V and during the ceremony Sam Fay the General Manager of the GCR was knighted.
On completion the total dock area was over 1,000 acres, 2.5 miles in length, over 1 mile inland, with a river frontage of nearly 1.5 miles. It had an entrance lock with three pairs of huge hydraulic gates. On the seaward side of the lock an eastern and western jetty curved outwards until they paralleled the shore;: the eastern jetty was a passenger landing stage with its own double railway tracks; the western jetty, which was partially opened in 1910, was used for coal also with its own double track accessing the mainland via two girder bridges. The total water area was a little under 45 acres.
Sources of Information
-  Wikipedia