Humphrys, Tennant and Dykes
Humphrys, Tennant and Dykes were marine engineers based on the Thames.
1853 Supplied 100hp engine for the sloop Harrier being built at Pembroke
In the 1850s and 1860s the firm built the engines for several screw propelled sloops and was a supplier to the Navy for half-a-century, during which time it competed with Maudslay and John Penn and Sons
1856 Subscribed £50 to the Smith Testimonial Fund, commemorating the work of F. P. Smith in promoting the screw propeller.
1861 Letter to "The Times" from Humphrys and Tennant.
1869 Introduced the horizontal direct-acting engine
Sources of Information
- The Times Nov 29, 1853
- The Times, Dec 05, 1861
- The Times, Nov 13, 1925
- Post Office London Directory, 1882. [Part 2: Commercial & Professional Directory
- A Short History of Naval and Marine Engineering by E. C. Smith. Published 1937