Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

GEC: Electric Motors

From GracesGuide

Jump to: navigation, search
1930. Oil electric locomotive, made in association with William Beardmore and Co.
July 1938. Fractional H.P. Motors.
1946.
1960.

Note: This is a sub-section of GEC

1930 Contracts for the Manchester-Altrincham electrification and other railway projects; orders for ships with electrified propulsion; extensive application of public lighting; development of photo-electric controls; development of lamps for cinema projectors[1].

1939 GEC was involved in supplying heavy electrical engineering equipment (from Fraser and Chalmers) to works that were electrifying, such as the new strip mill for Richard Thomas and Co. Witton was keeping pace with developments in transformers, faster-acting switch gear and traction equipment. Railway electrification business both at home and abroad[2].

1989 Hawker Siddeley acquired GEC Alstom Electromotors with works at Bradford, Birmingham and Newcastle under Lyme[3]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times, 26 June 1930
  2. The Times, 30 June 1939
  3. The Times, October 13, 1989