Dicker Pottery, earthenware manufacturer of Lower Dicker, Hailsham, Sussex.
1843 Pottery established by Uriah Clark on the site of an earlier pottery dating from the mid-18th century.
1904 Clark ran the Pottery until his death in 1904 when his partner and nephew Abel Clark leased the Pottery from Clark’s widow.
1912 the Dicker Pottery merged with the neighbouring Boship Green Pottery owned by William Bridges and the business became known as Uriah Clark and Nephew Ltd.
1916 Bridges died; the First World War nearly caused the business to fail.
Post WWI the Pottery came under the management of Sydney Harte
1920s/30s Produced notable art ware sold mainly to the tourist trade.
WWII The business closed.
Post WWII The Pottery was rebuilt and re-opened but was soon taken over by Wightman and Parish, local ironmongers in Lewes. Keith and Fiona Richardson were employed to run the business under the name Dicker Potteries Ltd, but despite their best efforts, the Pottery never gained its former prominence
1956 the business closed.
Sources of Information
- Pottery History