Devon Great Consols Mine
From Graces Guide
Devon Great Consols Mine is in the township, parish, union, and hundred of Tavistock, Devon, within the bounds of the manor or lordship of the Duke of Bedford, and mining district of Tavistock; it is situated 4 miles from the town of Tavistock.
1858 Devon Consols was the only mine in Devon and Cornwall to build and work its own standard gauge railway. It maintained and partly constructed many of the steam engines and water-wheels used for pumping and crushing operations.
In spite of the decline in mining during the post WWI slump in 1921, arsenic production continued at Wheal Maria, Wheal Frementor, Wheal Fanny (surface only) and Wheal Anna Maria.
1866 Details of precipitating and dressing machinery
Work appears to have ceased in about 1925, although mining at Frementor continued until 1930.
Morwellham Quay was the principal port for the export of copper to thye smelters in Swansea.