1891 Cotton Mills in Haslingden
From Graces Guide
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Carr, Parker and Co, Charles Lane Mill, Grane road; 7,000 spindles, 611/14"; 110 looms, waste twills and sheetings ; Manchester office-17A, Rook st.
- Greenwood Brothers, Carr Mill; 25,348 spindles, 4011/54" weft; and manufacturers, Rockfield Mill, Blackburn; Manchester office-20, Cross street.
- Hargreaves Street Manufacturing Co. Limited, Hargreaves street; 1,420 looms; and Spring Hill Mill, Church, near Accrington.
- Haslingden Commercial Co, Limited, Commercial, Holden Vale and Carr Mills, Paghouse; 1,748 looms. George Henry Hindle, secretary.
- Hazel Mill Co, Limited, Acre; about 36,000 spindles, 1611/26" twist, 401/6011 weft. Pay day third Wednesday. Joseph Andrew, manager; Frank Hamer, secretary.
- Hutch Bank Manufacturing Co, Limited; 384 looms, jacconettes. James Haworth, manager and sec.
- Industrial Manufacturing Co, Limited, Britannia Mill; 620 looms, jacconettes and shirtings; and at Baxenden. Jas. Edward Pilkington, manager and secretary.
- Laneside Industrial Cotton Mill Co, Limited, Laneside; 760 looms, shirtings and jacconettes. Pay day every Tuesday. R. Charnley, manager.
- John and Thomas L. Ormerod, Clough End Mill; 708 looms, shirtings, T cloths, jacconettes and printers; Manchester office - Albert Chambers, Albert square.
- Paghouse Mill Co, Limited, Grove Works; 560 looms. shirtings. Emanuel Cowpe, manager.
- William Robinson and Co, Union and Victoria Mills; 7,000 spindles, 4'/141; 150 looms, twills, plains, crapes and sheetings; and Lower Clowes Mill, Rawtenstall.
- B. Thompson and Co, Limited, Syke Mill; 630 looms, shirtings, jacconettes and cambrics; and at Radcliffe. Pay day first Wednesday after 15th.
- Nicholas Tomlinson and Sons, Plantation Mill; 950 looms, India and China shirtings, long cloths and jacconettes.
- Vine Grove Mill Co, Limited, Vine Grove Mill; 2,420 spindles, 611/811; 61 looms, waste twills. Pay day third Wednesday.
- Thomas Warburton and Sons, (waste), Flash Mills; 7,500 spindles, 61/81; 230 looms, waste plains, twills and crepes; Manchester office-13A, Bridgewater place.
- L. Whitaker and Sons, Limited, (waste), Grane Road and Spring Vale Mills; 7,000 spindles,61/121 weft; 200 looms, twills, sheetings, plains and cords
- Alexander Worsley, Duckworth Clough Mill; 3,800 spindles, 31/121 weft; 145 looms, waste twills, shirtings and plains
- Ormerod Brothers, Lane Side Sizing Works. Telegrams, " Ormerod, sizer, Haslingden."
- Calf Hey Manufacturing Co, Limited, Haslingden Grane; 314 looms, printers, jacconettes and shirtings. J. L. Taylor, secretary Heap Clough Cotton Manufacturing Co, Limited; 350 looms, printers, jacconettes and shirtings.
Helmshore. 2 miles S. from Haslingden (p105)
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Thomas Aitken and Son, Irwell Vale Mills; 7,500 spindles, 221 and 301; 120 looms, calicoes, belting, fustians, filter cloths and cotton drying felts for paper makers. Telegrams, "Aitken, Edenfield." Telephone No., 110.
- James Barlow and Sons (waste), Sunny Bank and Albert Mills; 7,000 spindles, 68/8s; 85 looms, fine and double superfine waste. twill sheets and shootings.
- Joseph Porritt and Sons, (roller, clearer and washer cloths, slasher's flannel, sizers and winders' cloths, blankets, and lappings for calico printers, felts for paper makers, and all kinds of woollen, linen, and cotton clothe for mechanical purposes), Sunny Bank and Higher Mills. Telegrams, " Porritt, Helmshore."-See advt.
FULLER AND FINISHER
Sources of Information
Note: This information was scanned and therefore there may be errors due to that process.