Buck and Hickman
From Graces Guide
of 2 and 4 Whitechapel Road, London. Branches at Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow
Matthew Buck, a saw maker from Sheffield, went to London and set up in business near Waterloo station.
His daughter Ann Buck married John Roe Hickman (1806-1847), a printer, who dies in 1847. Ann then opens a shop named Buck and Co.
1856 Partnership dissolved. George Buck and John Roe Hickman of Tottenham Court Road. Tool manufacturers.
1861 Advert. Buck and Hickman, Steam Grinding Mills, 281 Whitechapel Road, next to church.
1864 John Roe Hickman, saw and tool maker, Whitechapel Road.
1894 Catalogue of machinery. B&H are manufacturers and factors. 
1900 Catalogue of fine mechanical tools. 
1902 Becomes a private limited liability company with John Roe Hickman as chairman
1907 Advert for 'Brown and Sharpe's and Starrett's fine tools on exhibition and in stock'. Rules, micrometers, gauges, calipers etc. 
c1930 Charles George Twallin becomes chairman and remains until the 1950s
1940 Advert for tools. 
1945 Advert for tools and supplies. 
1956 Leeds branch opened
1958 Bristol branch opened
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Tools. 
1974 The family business is bought by the Sterling Guarantee Trust
1974 Moves headquarters from Whitechapel site to Sheffield
1984 Southampton branch opened
1985 Aberdeen branch opened
1987 Crawley branch opened
1988 Ashford and Ellesmere Port branches opened
c1990 Becomes part of Charles Baynes
2001 Company bought by Premier Farnell
2007 Bought by BSS Group
Sources of Information
- Perry’s Bankrupt Gazette - Saturday 08 March 1856
- East London Observer - Saturday 05 October 1861
- Perry’s Bankrupt Gazette - Friday 02 September 1864
- The Engineer of 13th April 1894 p315
- The Engineer of 19th October 1900 p402
- Pocket-Book for Mechanical Engineers by David Allen Low. Published 1907 by Longmans, Green and Co
- Mechanical World Year Book 1940. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p71
- Mechanical World Year Book 1945. Published by Emmott and Co of Manchester. Advert p85
- 1963 Motor Show