Brand and Co
of Mayfair Works, Vauxhall, London, and 72-84 South Lambeth Road, Vauxhall, London, SW8. Telephone: Brixton 4664. Cables: "Beefess, London"
1820s King George IV’s flagging health inspired a royal chef, Mr H. W. Brand, to develop an essence of chicken beverage to boost His Majesty’s physical condition.
1835 Mr H. W. Brand, having retired from the royal kitchen, concocted Brand’s Essence of Chicken for commercial sale as a food for convalescents and for invalids.
1873 Mrs Brand passed the business to J. J. Mason who was joined in partnership by Mr Thomas Dence.
1887 New factory was built at 72-84 South Lambeth Road, Vauxhall, London.
1897 Brand and Co Ltd was registered.
1900s Brand's fame spread throughout the British Empire.
1920s Brand's Essence of Chicken arrived in Asia.
1929 Advert as Manufacturers of Preserved Foods, Sauces, various other Table Delicacies and Foods for Invalids. Including: A.1. Sauce, Essence of Beef, Essence of Chicken, Tongues, Gelatines, Soups, Canadian Salmon, Sauces, Pickles, Chutnies, Xmas Puddings, Orange Juice, Jams, etc. (Foodstuffs etc.)
1959 Brand and Co Ltd, UK was acquired by Cerebos, UK.
1968 Cerebos, UK was bought by Ranks Hovis McDougall.
1990 Japanese company Suntory purchased Ranks Hovis McDougall's share in Cerebos.
1999 First Brand's Museum opened in Taiwan.
2000s Brand's label goods still in production.
2003 100 million bottles of the Brand product in the Far East and Australasia.