Avenue Shipping Co
From Graces Guide
Operator of worldwide cargo liners and occasional tramping services, of London
1924 the shipping agents Birt, Potter & Hughes established the Avenue Shipping Company as their ship-owning division. The shipping company’s name was derived from their London office at 2 Fenchurch Avenue.
During its brief existence, the company operated only a small number of ships
1934 company wound up
1954 the New Zealand Shipping Company revived the Avenue Shipping Company when a need arose to find use for their smaller part-refrigerated ships which had been replaced by new ships in the New ZealandZ-East Coast North America trade.
The new company was put under the management of Trinder Anderson & Company (which was not part of P&O) so that the ships might be more easily chartered to outside companies. The new company was floated on the stock exchange.
1955 Loss of c.£50,000 during their first year of operation, although the company saw profits increase over the next few years.
By 1957, Avenue Shipping had a total of seven ships in service. The new ships were an economic success, and even inaugurated a route from Australia to New Guinea.
1971 During the re-organization of the P&O Group, Avenue's remaining ships were absorbed into P&O General Cargo Division.
1976 Avenue Shipping was renamed P&O Overseas Holdings Ltd.
Sources of Information
- P&O Heritage